Friday, December 17, 2010

Shakespeare Again

“The quality of mercy is not strained, it droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven.”
-Shakespeare

Today was a challenging day for me; I will keep this post short, focused. This quote caught my attention through the refreshing perspective on the nature of mercy. Aren’t we usually taught that mercy is for the weak, those with no resolve? How sad and misguided!

Shakespeare, in this quote, makes an interesting observation: Not only is mercy something which cannot be measured; but also, mercy nourishes our lives. It is “a gentle rain” which provides water, an essential part of our lives.

I need life. Life is the thing that allows me to take care of my family, serve my community, and make discoveries everyday. It seems that, while all of my effort is great, mercy needs to be allowed to drizzle its magic all over me.

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment