Monday, December 20, 2010

Redefining Business

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”
-Antoine De St. Exupery
Earlier tonight, I was working with my colleague, David. David is a fantastically bright and ambitious up and comer in the business world. We were examining a business opportunity that is near and dear to our hearts, deciding whether we want this chance and whether the time is right.
As we were talking over what we have to bring to the table, I felt a bubble fighting its way to the surface of my conscious mind. Besides exhaling in relief that I knew what would be my topic for the daily blog, I felt that I had an opportunity to articulate my philosophical position about business.
You see, business, in many people’s minds, is something dirty. I hear people make comments about the scum sucking corporate world which sadden me, especially when considering my role as the Department Chair for the College of Business. I work hard, everyday, to train the future business leaders to be thoughtful and ethical individuals.
Truly, I understand that this negative reputation has come to be well-deserved in many areas; however, my contention is that this reputation is less the result of what we call the business world and more a result of unethical and antisocial behavior from individuals participating in it. In fact, I would venture a guess that this kind of behavior is among the worst common to all human beings. It would be silly to assume that this kind of behavior only exists in the for-profit business world.
So, I went casting around for a quote that would allow for me to have an opportunity to share my philosophy on why I work so hard and how I stay positive. I think this quote works nicely.
You see, I believe that the purpose of for-profit business is not to simply make money. Money is not purpose. We have to remember that money is only a measurement of value, not value itself. It is in this confusion that we begin to see convoluted ethics which often breed excessive behaviors.  
The purpose of a business is to build value. Therefore, the goal of the true business professional is to build an organization with a focused and incisive purpose in which people are motivated to work well with one another to build something in which they can believe. The profits such an organization produce are the measurement by which the owners can recognize the effectiveness of the business.
Thinking of this in the vocalublary of today’s quote, the dream of a vast ocean of possibilities is the environment which the leader tries to fashion throughout the entire organization. The profits of this are fine ships, designed to move smoothly and derive maximum efficiency, safety, and joy when sliding across the waters. Of course, the better the boats are cafted, the more value a potential consumer can recognize in the craft’s design, materials, and solid construction.
Luckily, David is patient with my long-winded protestations. We agree that the only way to progress in the way of wealth in this capitalistic world in which we live is through conscious participation in markets through entrepreneurship. More importantly, no one has to lose his or her sould in an effort to find financial success. The important thing here is that there is a clear way forward for commerce to exist without it becoming so filled with avarice that no scrupulous, talented, and creative individual would pursue business as an exciting and rewarding way to spend a life.
Let’s light the way together!
Z
If you enjoy this blog, then please subscribe. Also check out my book "Falling but Fulfilled" right here

No comments:

Post a Comment