Sunday, October 23, 2011

This Is Just Not "the Way It Is"

I recommend the Statue of Liberty be supplemented by a Statue of Responsibility.
            -Victor Frankl-

            I find myself in frequent discussions about government and personal responsibility.   During a business leadership course, I found myself in another government responsibility discussion. The conversation concerned the movement of Hawaii’s homeless population to an alternate place in order to preserve the reputation of Hawaii’s aloha for APEC. I was appalled that the government was taking away what very little the Hawaii homeless have in order to display the image of aloha for leaders from abroad. I thought if we all really lived aloha we would not have homelessness.
From that day forward, I have decided to shift my thought process to personal responsibility.  If I am not taking personal responsibility for the topics I am concerned about; how can I expect the government or anyone else to take responsibility?   I have the freedom to take personal responsibility to help the homeless and yet, I don't.
Why? Because, that which falls within the circle of our personal responsibility is so hard to recognize.
            With freedom, each of us should realize that there is giant wave of responsibility that comes with the benefits. According to Webster’s dictionary, liberty is the quality or state of being free. If the homeless are living in the Hawaii, are they not free to populate any area at any time as part of their rights?  Is not what we are doing for APEC a violation of personal rights, the meaning of aloha, and the American ideal of freedom? 
The definition of responsibility is to be liable to be called upon to answer.  In every conversation I’ve had with my fellow doctoral students on this topic the conclusion ends with "this is just the way it is."  Very few times is anyone willing to have the conversation about how a small number of leaders in the classroom could make a difference (except Carole) with homelessness in Hawaii or human trafficking in India.  I see now that the problem is not homelessness in Hawaii.  The problem is me not speaking up to encourage others to have a different conversation just for today. To point out, just as Dr Oliver has done, we have to remember that if we see a problem we are being called upon to answer it. 
I hope, at least, my next conversation will not conclude with "it's just the way it is."   

Amber Stubbs, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment