Monday, January 3, 2011

A New Year's Wish

Aloha Dear Readers,

Thank you for a wonderful break. I really enjoyed spending some time with my family.

A few times during the last month, I've hit on something that is a core issue of my book, my classroom philosophy, and I hope for this continued blog. Today, I received the new issue of Time magazine, opened it up, and flipped it to an article on Suu Kyi, the Burmese Nobel Peace Prize laureate. On page 32, I saw my opening quote for the year staring at me in big bold print. It is the shot into the very heart of what I'm trying to do with all of this work.

The nicest thing about this, for me, is that seeing these words coming from someone who also believes passionately in his or her work. It means I'm not crazy and that this is a worthwhile mission. It fills me with the energy to dive back in for another year and share all of this love inside of me in an effort to spread the message that learning is worthwhile as it allows us to decide carefully and clearly where and when and how we might contribute to this great human experience.

With no further ado, I leave you with the quote:

"My very top priority is for people to understand that they have the power to change things themselves."
-Suu Kyi

Happy New Year!

Z

No comments:

Post a Comment