Friday, January 21, 2011

An Apology

Aloha Dear Readers,

I'm sorry to have left you hanging. Everything is going well in Zachland; however, life has been extremely busy. I've been working so hard on making sure that my university job is well done so that my students will have a strong start for the semester.

On top of that, I've been editing a couple of new books. It's satisfying work, but time consuming.

So, I want to get back to my writing and to start this new flurry of bog posts out on something that falls very near and dear to my heart and to the subject matter of my latest book, "Falling but Fulfilled" using the words of a great man who taught the modern world a whole new way to conceive of itself.

"You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him to find it for himself."
-Galileo Galilei

These words of wisdom come from the man credited to having offered us the very first solid proof that the universe does not swim languidly around the Earth. He produced the first evidence that pointed to a universe made up of a lot more moving pieces than just the parts observable by our eyes. Some people may malign him as having taken away a great sense of wonder, as the executioner of the religious age. It seems that he pointed at an even more wonderous reality that stretches unimaginable eons and speeds away from us in all directions like some slow motion existence inside a bursting explosion.

His words, here, are so elegant, so simple. He makes such a great point that effective teaching isn't about stuffing information into a person's head. Instead, learning happens when a student finds the will and joy to begin connecting with the wonders surrounding him or her in every moment of every day.

I wish for all of you that you keep yourself wide open to the experiences that await each and every one of you today, tomorrow, and every day.

Z

1 comment:

  1. Great "food for thought" and certainly worthwhile to contemplate. There's always much more going on than meets the eye isn't there. You have inspired me today, to be more of a sponge and soak in more than I have been, there really is so much to marvel at all around us.
    Thank you,
    Tony (Edward)
    Dana Point,

    ReplyDelete